PDF files are widely used for various purposes, such as academic papers, ebooks, magazines, reports, and more. They are convenient and versatile, but they also require an excellent device to read them comfortably and efficiently. If you are looking for the best tablet for reading PDFs in 2023, you have come to the right place. You don’t need an expensive tablet for reading PDF files, so we came up with the most budget friendly models. If you are looking for high-end models, check out our other reviews.
We will review some of the top tablets that can easily handle PDF files and offer you a great reading experience. We will consider factors such as screen size, resolution, battery life, storage capacity, performance, and price. Here are our picks for the best tablet for reading PDFs in 2023.
Before you buy one of the tablets we recommend below, you need to know what features a tablet should have for an outstanding reading experience. I can suggest some features to look for in a tablet that would make it great for reading PDFs:
- High-resolution display: A crisp and clear screen is essential for comfortable reading. Look for a tablet with a high pixel density, typically 300 pixels per inch (PPI) or higher.
- Screen size: A larger screen will make it easier to read PDFs, especially those with complex layouts or multiple columns. Tablets with screens around 10 inches or larger are generally better suited for PDF reading.
- Battery life: Good battery life is essential for extended reading sessions. Look for tablets with at least 8-10 hours of battery life on a single charge.
- Performance: A fast processor and sufficient RAM will ensure smooth scrolling and quick rendering of PDFs, especially for large or image-heavy files.
- PDF reader app compatibility: Make sure the tablet supports popular PDF reader apps like Adobe Acrobat Reader, Foxit, or GoodReader.
- Stylus support (optional): If you plan on annotating or highlighting text within PDFs, a tablet with stylus support can be helpful.
- Operating system: Choose a tablet with a popular and well-supported operating system, like Apple’s iPadOS or Google’s Android, to ensure app compatibility and regular updates.
Remember that new tablets are released regularly, so it’s essential to read our reviews and compare the latest models available in 2023 to find the best option for your needs.
What is the best tablet for reading PDFs in 2023?
|Display:||8.7 inches, 800 x 1340 pixels, 5:3 ratio, TFT LCD|
|Processor:||MediaTek MT8768T Helio P22T (12 nm), octa-core (4×2.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)|
|Memory:||32GB 2GB RAM, 32GB 3GB RAM, or 64GB 4GB RAM|
|Storage expansion:||MicroSDXC (dedicated slot) up to 1TB|
|Rear camera:||8 MP, AF, 1080p@30fps video recording|
|Front camera:||2 MP|
|Sound:||Dual stereo speakers, 3.5mm headphone jack|
|Connectivity:||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct; Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE; GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO; USB Type-C 2.0; Nano-SIM (LTE model only)|
|Battery:||Li-Po 5100 mAh, non-removable, 15W fast charging|
|Dimensions:||212.5 x 124.7 x 8 mm (8.37 x 4.91 x 0.31 in)|
|Weight:||366 g (Wi-Fi), 371 g (LTE) (12.91 oz)|
|Colors:||Gray or silver|
|OS:||Android 11, upgradable to Android 12, One UI 4.1|
- Compact and lightweight design with a metal back and minimal bezels
- Wide and bright display with good viewing angles and a decent resolution
- Smooth performance for basic tasks like browsing, streaming, gaming, etc.
- Good battery life and fast charging support
- Dual stereo speakers with clear and loud sound quality
- One UI 4.1 with gesture-based navigation and useful features
- microSD card slot for storage expansion
- Affordable price
- TFT LCD is not as vibrant or sharp as IPS LCD or AMOLED
- MediaTek Helio P22T processor is not very powerful or efficient compared to other chipsets
- Limited RAM and storage options
- Single rear and front camera with low resolution and mediocre quality
- No fingerprint scanner or face unlock for biometric security
- No NFC or radio support
- Android updates may be slow or limited
The SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 8.7″ is a decent tablet for those who want a portable and budget-friendly device for entertainment and casual use. It offers a wide and bright display, dual stereo speakers, good battery life, fast charging, and One UI 4.1 with gesture-based navigation and valuable features. However, it also has some drawbacks, like a TFT LCD, a MediaTek Helio P22T processor, limited RAM and storage options, single rear and front camera, no fingerprint scanner or face unlock, no NFC or radio support, and slow or limited Android updates. Therefore, it may not be suitable for those who need a more powerful or versatile tablet for productivity or creativity purposes.
The Apple iPad Mini (sixth generation) is one of the best tablets for reading PDF in 2023 if you are an Apple fan or user. It has an impressive 8.3-inch Liquid Retina display with a resolution of 2266 x 1488 pixels and True Tone technology that adjusts the color temperature according to your surroundings.
The Apple iPad Mini (sixth generation) also has an A15 Bionic chip with Neural Engine that delivers fast performance and powerful graphics processing capabilities.
It supports Apple Pencil (second generation), which lets you annotate, highlight, and draw on your PDF files with precision and ease. It also has either 64 GB or 256 GB of internal storage that can store your PDF files and other media.
It has a long battery life of up to 10 hours on a single charge, which means you can read PDF files for hours without interruption.
It also supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and cellular connectivity, so you can access your PDF files online or offline wherever you go.
|Body:||195.4 x 134.8 x 6.3 mm, 293 g (Wi-Fi model) or 297 g (Wi-Fi + Cellular model); glass front, aluminum back and frame; stylus support (2nd gen only).|
|Display:||8.3-inch Liquid Retina IPS LCD, 500 nits (typ), 1488 x 2266 px resolution, 13.71:9 aspect ratio, 327 ppi; wide color gamut, True Tone.|
|Chip:||A15 Bionic chip with 6-core CPU (2 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores), 5-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine.|
|Rear Camera:||12 MP wide camera, f/1.8 aperture, digital zoom up to 5x, quad-LED True Tone flash, autofocus with Focus Pixels, panorama (up to 63 MP), Smart HDR 3, wide color capture for photos and Live Photos, advanced red-eye correction, photo geotagging, auto image stabilization, burst mode; video recording: 4K at 24/25/30/60 fps, 1080p HD at 25/30/60 fps, 720p HD at 30 fps, slo-mo video support for 1080p at 120/240 fps, time-lapse video with stabilization, extended dynamic range for video up to 30 fps, cinematic video stabilization (4K/1080p/720p), continuous autofocus video, playback zoom; image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG. Front: 12 MP ultra-wide camera, f/2.4 aperture, Smart HDR 3; video recording: same as rear camera.|
|Speakers:||Landscape stereo speakers.|
|Microphones:||Dual microphones for calls, video recording, and audio recording.|
|Cellular and Wireless:||Wi-Fi model: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2×2 MIMO; speeds up to 1.2 Gbps; simultaneous dual-band; Bluetooth 5.0. Wi-Fi + Cellular model: same as Wi-Fi model plus cellular connectivity with support for various bands of 5G NR (sub-6 GHz), FDD-LTE, TD-LTE, UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA.|
|SIM Card:||Nano-SIM (supports Apple SIM); eSIM.|
|Sensors:||Touch ID sensor on top button; three-axis gyro; accelerometer; barometer; ambient light sensor.|
|Battery and Power:||Built-in rechargeable lithium-polymer battery with a capacity of up to 19.3 Wh; up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi or watching video; up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network; charging via USB-C power adapter or computer system.|
|Capacity:||64 GB or 256 GB|
- Sleek and modern design that makes it easy to hold and carry around. It has thin bezels around the display and rounded corners that give it a smooth appearance. It also comes in four attractive colors: space gray, pink, purple, and starlight.
- Powerful performance that can handle multitasking and gaming smoothly.
- Stunning display that offers a vivid and immersive viewing experience. The Liquid Retina display has high resolution, brightness, contrast.
- Stylish compact design
- Offers more storage than the previous model.
- Lots of power features the A15 Bionic chipset, the same processor that powers the iPhone 13 series.
- Excellent webcam.
- USB-C charging.
- 2nd Gen Apple Pencil support.
- No Magic Keyboard or headphone jack
- Battery life could be better
- Doesn’t include a stylus
The Kindle Oasis is also IPX8 water-resistant, which means you can read PDF files by the pool or in the bath without worrying about damaging your device. It also has physical page-turn buttons that make it easy to flip through pages of PDF files without touching the screen.
The Kindle Oasis has either 8 GB or 32 GB of internal storage that can hold thousands of PDF files and other ebooks. It also has a long battery life that can last for weeks on a single charge, depending on your usage.
The Kindle Oasis runs on Amazon’s operating system, giving you access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, comics, newspapers, and more from Amazon’s library. You can also sync your PDF files across all your devices using Amazon’s cloud service.
The Kindle Oasis is one of the best tablets for reading PDFs in 2023 because it offers a premium e-reading experience with advanced features and design.
If you are looking for a premium e-reader, you might be interested in the Kindle Oasis, Amazon’s top-of-the-line device. The Kindle Oasis offers a luxurious reading experience with a large, high-quality screen, automatic brightness and warmth settings, and a sleek ergonomic design. But is it worth the high price tag? In this review, I will list the specs, pros and cons, and conclusions of the Kindle Oasis.
|Display:||7-inch E Ink Carta HD capacitive touchscreen display with a resolution of 1680 x 1264 and 300 PPI|
|Finish:||The screen is made of glass, and the body is made of high-grade aluminum.|
|Capacity:||8GB or 32GB of internal storage|
|Connectivity:||Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and optional 4G connectivity.|
|Waterproof:||Yes, with an IPX8 rating, meaning it can withstand immersion in up to two meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes.|
|E-book formats:||Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion; Audible audio format (AAX).|
|Dimensions:||159 x 141 x 3.4-8.3 mm|
- Excellent screen quality and improved features compared to other Kindles.
- Adapt font size, margins, line spacing, and orientation to your reading preferences.
- Premium reading experience with its sleek ergonomic design and page turn buttons.
- Waterproof and supports audiobooks, making it versatile for different reading scenarios.
- Expensive compared to other e-readers.
- Does not have a speaker or a headphone jack, which limits your options for listening to audiobooks.
- Has a thicker side that does not improve handhold as much as expected.
The Kindle Oasis is an excellent e-reader for those who want the best of the best from Amazon. It offers a large, high-quality screen with adjustable brightness and warmth settings, a sleek ergonomic design with page turn buttons, and waterproofing and audiobook support. However, it is also very expensive compared to other e-readers, and it does not have a speaker or a headphone jack for audiobooks.